Consultancy Description for Network Coordinator
- Hours: 15-20 hours per week
- Hourly Rate: 25-35$ USD an hour (or corresponding day rate)
- Type of employment: Independent Contractor
- Length of time: Consultancy offered through 9/8/21
- Application materials: Letter of interest/experience and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline: April 28th
Description of role
The Platform Governance Research Network (PGRN) is looking for a part-time Network Coordinator to manage and help build our growing global network of organizations and individuals. We are looking for a collaborative and detail-oriented individual to help with research and provide editorial support in writings and briefings emerging from our First Annual Conference of the Platform Governance Research Network. The Network Coordinator would also be responsible for coordinating network members and meetings, providing additional logistical support for network members, and for communicating updates about the PGRN (as
well as doing some moderation) on our relevant communication channels (including Slack, listservs, and Twitter).
The Platform Governance Research Network is an emerging collaboration between several coordinating organizations and individuals conducting research and advocacy on platform governance concerns worldwide. On March 24-26th, 2021, we held our First Annual Conference, which consisted of both a Research Track and a Network Building Track. During this Network Building Track, we invited prospective participants of the network and members of the platform governance community to discuss how to best structure and grow a platform governance research network to promote global inclusion and diversity. Following this conference, we are moving onto the next stage of growing our network, which includes adding new members, maintaining momentum, strengthening connections between participating organizations and individuals, and finding new ways to serve the global platform governance community. The Network Coordinator will play a key role in achieving these goals.
Scope of Work
- Compile and collate moderator notes from the Network Building Day of the Conference
- Draft the post-conference Network Building Day ‘summary’ report from these notes
- Provide coordination and logistics support to working group and or committee leads
○ Meeting summaries and notetaking
○ Zoom links, meeting reminders, cal-invites
- Develop a monthly newsletter/digest compiling events / announcements / publications
from network members and partner institutions
- Provide research support to fundraising working group, helping identify funding
- Research options for Listservs, and take lead (coordinating with relevant institutional
partner IT, etc) on implementation and roll-out
○ Function as lead listserv moderator / admin
- Undergraduate or MSc/MA candidate/professional in the relevant areas of the Platform
Governance Research Network
- English fluency
- Good command of productivity tools (GDocs suite) and team management tools (e.g.
To be considered for the consultancy opportunity, please submit a letter about your interest and experience and your CV to email@example.com. The deadline for submission is April 28th.
About the Platform Governance Research Network and Data & Society Research Institute
This position is for the Platform Governance Research Network, but the Network Coordinator will be managed through the Data & Society Research Institute.
Founded in 2013, Data & Society is an NYC-based research institute. We advance public understanding of the social and cultural implications of data-centric technologies and automation. Through interdisciplinary research and engagement, we work to ensure that knowledge guides the development and governance of technology.
We see the field as comprised of researchers, journalists, policymakers, technologists, industry leaders and workers, funders, advocates, and civil society actors. We are committed to helping this field engage substantively, and with an evidence base, in debates over implications arising from the increasing reliance on data at scale to automated decision-making across a range of sectors.
Data & Society is an equal opportunity organization. We recruit, engage, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law, and believe that we are strengthened by the diversity of our network. Additionally, increasing diversity is one of the main concerns of the Platform Governance Research Network.
If you have any queries regarding this call, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.